you WILL have a good time
After party notes to a friend:
There's a difference between being a good hostess and being so intent on everyone having the best possible time that you make the atmosphere in the room tense. You can promote fun just by relaxing a little and enjoying your own party.
- If my drink is empty, I don't need you to leap to your feet and run to get me another.
- If I don't eat an appetiser every minute, this doesn't mean I don't like them.
- Ditto having seconds of dinner. The food was great. I just didn't want to roll home.
- People wanting to go home before midnight doesn't mean the party sucked. 11:30pm is late for people whose seven and ten-year-old children are at the party with them.
- Dancing: not everyone's into it. And that's okay.