a little east of reality

Sunday, September 18, 2005

couldn't bear it another moment

Enormous bear went for a little ride today and didn't come back. *cue evil music*

I want to be humourously villainous about it, but it still feels too weird. I've never returned a present before...ever. I kept an ugly raccoon wind chime thing for years because I love the person who gave it to me. But that chime could fit in the palm of my hand. The bear, on the other hand, dominates any room it's in and the truth is that I don't even like small stuffed toys. A friend of Phi's came over and said how adorable it was and I nearly offered it to her. I even thought about giving it to some young kid who would be thrilled to have it. But giving it away seemed much more callous than returning it, as if I didn't even care that they had spent their hard-earned cash on me. And I do.

Now I just have to figure out when to tell them that I returned it. I don't think they'll believe he 'went to live on a nice teddy bear farm in the country'. Is it really that insulting to tell someone that they simply made a bad choice of present? It's amazing how much intentions count. Given how tactless the whole thing was in the first place, part of me feels like I shouldn't have to tiptoe around their feelings. Yet the rest of me just can't be like that, because I honestly believe that they thought I would find it delightful. And that is enough reason to be tactful about returning it.

*sigh* Sometimes life's just too hard.