a little east of reality

Thursday, September 15, 2005

she works hard for the money

I had a job interview today. It's for a promotion within the branch I currently work for. This was the first time I've ever been interviewed by people I work with - it was kind of weird at first, but they were really good at putting people at ease and getting a discussion going. Neo also applied and said the same thing afterwards.

Anyway, gruelling stuff: first a written exercise for 30min (I had to write a summary of a document on the evolution of the Australian telecommunications industry) and then an interview with a panel of three. Six questions, and I was there for an hour and a half! I'll post the questions later maybe, but I have to wait until interviews are over to get a copy of them. When I first read them I felt a bit out of my depth, but once I started talking I realised that I knew more than I thought I did. (At least I hope so!! It might have all been rubbish.)

The nice thing about this interview is that I am already employed and happy where I am. It would be fabulous to go up a level and get a little more money each payday, but if I miss out it's okay. I don't need to feel bad if friends from the branch are successful and I'm not, because nothing crucial is riding on it. I really like the lack of pressure to compete. I like knowing that when I wish them luck I mean it and am not secretly thinking 'but not as much luck as me, please!'

I won't know the outcome for almost a month, so I'm just putting it on the back burner and forgetting about it for now. I'll let you know how things turn out.