a little east of reality

Saturday, September 17, 2005

last.fm

This week I discovered last.fm thanks to Sclatchfan.

Last.fm keeps track of the music you play and compiles your music profile over time. After you've played about 300 tracks, and it has an idea of your taste, it starts identifying your musical neighbours. This means you can find people with similar music tastes and check out what they're listening to that maybe you don't know about yet.

I can play my own music or listen to their net radio in a format I decide through my preferences, either through tags like 'rock' or 'punk' or just by typing in a band or twelve and asking it to play 'bands like that'. There's also a journal feature which is intended for people to write specifically about music - whether opinions, reviews or concert reports. Obviously you could use it for other stuff, but I already have a blog and this is a music community, so why bother. I haven't decided yet whether to duplicate my journal entries over here A Little East of Reality...leaning towards 'yes' at the moment.

Anyway, if you want to check out my page, here it is.