a little east of reality

Thursday, June 16, 2005

misplaced guilt

So I emailed my boss yesterday to tell her I wouldn't be in because I wasn't well. Though I am not at death's door, I am run down, congested and have that achey feeling. I explain this and say I will contact her after I've been to the doctor to see what's going on.

In return I get an email that runs something like this:

Sorry to hear you're not well.
Re work:
Item 1
Item 2
Item 3
Item 4
Item 5
Item 6
Get better soon.
Ms Plum
Uh yeah. Did I just miss something or do you have a stone for a heart?

But did I sit at home in a warm bath feeding myself chocolates and scorning her callous soul? No, I didn't. I sat at home feeling guilty that I wasn't at work. And today, still not really well, I took myself into work, telling myself I was only there to do the essential things from her list - the urgent stuff - and then going home. I even announced this on my arrival. Shortly thereafter the list of 'well, as you're here, can you just...?' requests began. I eventually dragged myself home at 5.30pm.

Gutless and pathetic...I know.