a little east of reality

Thursday, October 02, 2008

editing project crunch time

This semester my major editing project is (we choose/create our own) to create small training manual specifically targeted at coaches teaching wheelchair table tennis players. My dad is the author and is therefore providing the bulk of the content. He's been coaching wheelies for over thirty years and has coached some players all the way to the Paralympics, so he knows what he's talking about. My role is managing editor, which is basically an editor and project manager rolled into one.

Well, the thing is due in a few weeks and I am SO BEHIND. Maybe everyone is experiencing similar panic to do all the last minute stuff, but that's not going to help my grade any.

Getting the content was initially like pulling hen's teeth. My dad is great verbally, but with the written not so much. Luckily my superhero mother stepped in and offered to type as he dictates her. She is also helping with a lot of the re-writing (when the edits go back from me) and has been generally so excellent that she's going to be the subject of a glowing acknowledgement.

Anyway, it's definitely getting to the pointy end of the project. Apart from the editing itself, I have a number of copyright permissions not yet received for photos and illustrations we want to use. Etc, etc, etc. Lots of fiddly stuff. Suffice it to say that I will be spending my long weekend (Monday is a holiday here) up to my eyeballs in editing work.

I like editing, but it's not so much fun when you're under the gun. I am looking forward to making better progress with it though.

Labels: , ,