a little east of reality

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

prod me a little, okay?

Knowing my luck the discovery that something was amiss would happen halfway through my cremation. :)
An 81-year old man in the small Chilean village of Angol shocked his grieving relatives by waking up in his coffin at his own wake, according to local media.

When Feliberto Carrasco's family members discovered his body limp and cold, they were convinced that the octogenarian's hour had come, so they immediately called a funeral home, not a doctor.

Carrasco was dressed in his finest suit for the wake, and his relatives gathered to bid him a final farewell.

"I couldn't believe it. I thought I must be mistaken, and I shut my eyes," Carrasco's nephew Pedro told the daily Ultimas Noticias. "When I opened them again, my uncle was looking at me. I started to cry and ran to get something to open up the coffin to get him out."

The man who "rose from the dead" said he was not in any pain, and only asked for a glass of water.
Yeah. I think I'd be asking for a glass of water...and maybe a small canister of oxygen and some digging tools to carry around with me in case it ever happened again.

Stories like this always make me wonder what happened with the whole 'funeral director preparing the body' thing, but maybe that doesn't apply in small Chilean villages. Either way, I'm thinking some heavy duty double-checking is going to occur the next time this man is considered dead.

Corny puns in the comments are encouraged.

Labels: ,