a little east of reality

Sunday, January 14, 2007

'verse' is a noun people!

Just reading a post from Jimmy on (and he may not have worded it exactly like this) the crap txtspeak that some ppl thk is prolly gonna become the new 'evolved' English. Grrr. For me, if you aren't on a mobile or msn, don't even start with that. Even on msn I prefer real English for the real conversation and abbreviations only for the administrative stuff (brb, cya, afk).

But this post is for a pet peeve I've been meaning to blog for ages. You know the word 'versus', usually shortened to 'vs' as in Mike Tyson vs Rocky Balboa? Well here in Canberra the kids connect that to the word 'verse' and use 'verse' as a verb. So they say things like, "on Saturday my football team versed the Southside Scorpians and won."

D.r.i.v.e.s. .m.e. .i.n.s.a.n.e.

I wish I could find the teacher who first allowed that and beat them down.

Labels: