a little east of reality

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

/chosha's mobile phone rings. It's China Girl, her BFF from Adelaide./

China Girl: Hi, how are you?
Chosha: Yeah, good thanks.
China Girl: Ah. You haven't heard the news, have you?
Chosha: Which, um, news would that be?

U2 forced to postpone Australian tour
Thursday Mar 9
Irish rock band U2 has been forced to postpone the Australian leg of its Vertigo tour. An immediate family member of one of the band is ill, forcing the delay.

"Any fan of U2 will realise that this decision has not been taken lightly," said tour spokesman Arthur Fogel in a brief statement.

"We will announce further details as soon as we have them."

Upcoming dates in New Zealand, Japan and Hawaii have also been postponed. U2 was to kick off the Australian leg of its world tour in Brisbane on March 21, before playing Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney. All shows were sold out, except Adelaide, where additional tickets had been put on sale.

It would have been eight years since Bono and the boys played on Australian shores.
Yes, eight years since they last toured Australia, and the first time I've ever had a ticket. I know this "family member" can't help being sick, but still, it's so disappointing.

But that's not the worst part. Instead of trying to secure impossible-to-get Sydney tickets, I decided to go for Adelaide. This gave me a chance to plan a trip home around the concert date. Now I have my flights booked and paid for, and no concert to go to. I don't mind the trip home for its own sake, but if the band ends up coming back too soon, I won't be able to afford a new pair of plane tickets. I can sell the ticket, but I'd rather go to the concert. I guess I just have to wait and see what happens.

Which sucks.