a little east of reality

Friday, May 13, 2005

scanning policy


I'm learning to check my dockets really carefully lately. Most supermarkets here have a policy that if an item scans differently to the advertised price on the ticket, you get that item for free. I have a good memory for numbers, so if I mentally take note of the prices as I shop, I can usually spot when one comes up wrong at the register. I've discovered that about every second trip to the store I get something for free. Last week I scored 10kg of potatoes, this week a dozen eggs. $5 is not a bad discount on a grocery bill.

Wouldn't it be good if it worked that way in the rest of life? If a guy turns out to not be what he advertised himself as being, I get my life back as it was before I met him. Including the CDs he borrowed. And with no memory of the night we stargazed in a distant field with an inky black sky...so wonderful then, so bittersweet now. *slightly over-dramatic sigh*

Then again, maybe that would put me in the same position as the characters in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind...

**SPOILER WARNING**

...who did get their lives back by having someone erase their memories of the person they had loved and lost, but were doomed to repeat the past because they could not remember it.

At the supermarket this could only be a good thing.