a little east of reality

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

wonderful things found on the library noticeboard

Library noticeboards are boring, right? Wrong! Mine is turning out to be a veritable treasure trove.

1. The last time there was a flyer for the funniest public lecture I've ever attended, featuring Terry Pratchett, the guy who wrote the Discworld series. I missed a free hotel lunch to see that one and it was worth every delectable morsel in the bain marie.

2. Today I found a flyer for an anime convention being held right here in Canberra NEXT WEEKEND! While I'm only into anime in a small way, these cons tend to celebrate many aspects of Japanese pop culture, including (dance! sing! shout!) j-rock.


SO...VERY...HAPPY!

You have to understand...this stuff never happens here. I'm lucky if I can find someone who speaks Japanese or has been to Japan. I haven't met a single person here who is really into Japan, except for one friend who is half-Japanese and she isn't into rock at all. This convention may be small and it may even turn out to be lame (only being in its second year), but the point is that for two days I get to wallow in Japanese stuff. Heaven.

3. I also found a flyer for an art course focusing mainly on drawing. It's something I've wanted to do for a while, so I think I'll give it a shot.