a little east of reality

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

fin finito

In the continuing staffing circus saga, Fin has announced he has a new job. I am stunned and a little daunted. After he leaves, of the four people on our team, I will be the one who's been on that team the longest - and I've only been there three-and-a-half months. The project we've been working on has been running for over two years.

I can see a lot of rereading of old files in my future, and a lot of advice-seeking. Don't get me wrong. I'm not in charge of it all. But my team leader was working in the Dept of Health scant weeks ago and has learned all she knows about radiocommunications only since joining us. She is pretty good and managed to really hit the ground running, but this new twist is the equivalent of the ground buckling under her feet while she's doing it.

And the silver lining on these gathering clouds? Well, this is a job he wanted, so I'm happy for him. It may also create movement in a way that allows me to apply for a job at a higher level. It's too early to tell if that will happen, but it does have some silvery potential.