a little east of reality

Saturday, April 23, 2005

spiders, wasps packing for extended holiday

Bass Boy came over today to do some work for me. I got him to sweep away spiderwebs from all the outside steps, balconies, etc and then surface spray around each door, window and anywhere else that seemed a possible in for the eight-legged kind. I'm hoping this will render us spider-free and discourage others crawlies as well.

It wasn't until after he left that I discovered the very small beginnings of a wasp nest being constructed on one of my outdoor lights (on the balcony). I used the same spray (from behind a screen door) to nip their construction in the bud. It was then I discovered that this tiny little nest foundation actually held roughly thirty wasps. That was an...interesting...moment. I hid behind the door, spraying when I could, until a mystical circle of dead insects appeared on the balcony under the light. The rest flew away. Now I just have to get brave enough to knock the bit of a nest off the light so there's nothing to come back to.

Why can they all just be dragonflies?