a little east of reality

Monday, May 16, 2005

i wanna rock and roll all night...


If you just completed the line by singing "and party every day!" then it's a shame you weren't at my house tonight. Phi and I started reminiscing about KISS at dinner and ended up watching one of his DVDs the rest of the evening - interviews and music clips of KISS both with and without makeup - while swapping trivia and details of the KISS concerts we've been to. I knew Phi was a KISS fan, but I had no idea how much of one. He's even paid obscene amounts of money to see them live from a good seat (is it sad that I totally understand and approve of that? No! No it isn't! haha). KISS were my first ever concert, and one of the best (of hundreds) I've seen live.

The boy never stops getting cooler. And no, I don't care if your definition of cool doesn't include liking crazy hair bands from the 80s, so don't even go there. He also has a really kick-ass pair of steel-capped leather boots - not quite like KISS' own, but somewhat inspired by them. Totally impractical of course, especially now he no longer has a motor bike, but I think that's part of the reason I like them. He reminds me of the rockers I used to hang out with in high school, except he's a lot less likely to get into a fight. He's certainly the most fun housemate I've ever had anyway. And all this from a guy that pays his rent on time, has nice friends and understands the Tao of the dishcloth. Is this Fate's way of apologising for how badly last year sucked? Either way I'm loving it.

Anyway, to end what has become my Ode to Phi: the biggest revelation of coolness tonight had nothing to do with KISS or leather or concert tickets. The boy is 27 years old and he owns Cheap Trick's Live at Budokan...on vinyl. A kindred spirit in the Cold Capital...who'da thunk it?