a little east of reality

Monday, January 21, 2008

long time, no meme

A rather random meme, borrowed from Shebem, that I felt like sharing:

1. If you could build a house anywhere, where would it be?
Sydney (though I'd love to keep an apartment in Osaka as well.)

2. What’s your favorite article of clothing? My Doc Martens. I also have a purple t-shirt that I love.

3. Favorite physical feature of the opposite sex?
Hands/forearms, lips, lats

4. What’s the last DVD you bought?
Singles 2nd Ward (not as good as the original, as the reprised characters kind of became caricatures instead, whether because of the acting or the writing or the direction I can't decide). Last one I was given: Pulp Fiction (10th Anniversary Edition...best Secret Santa present ever!) Last one I won: Paris j'taime.

5. Where’s your favorite place to be?
Near the ocean or seeing a live band.

6. Where is your least favorite place to be?
Waiting in line (bus stop, bank, supermarket check out). Drives me mad. Barely tolerable even if I remember my mp3 player.

7. Where’s your favorite place to be massaged?
On the couch. (Hardy har har.) Neck, shoulders...lots of tension there.

8. Strong in mind or strong in body?
Both are good, but strong in mind is more important.

9. What time do you wake up in the morning?
Mostly early, 6:30 - 7am.

10. What is your favorite kitchen appliance?
Snow cone maker. The sandwich press thingie that flattens everything is also cool.

11. What makes you really angry?
Emotional manipulation.

12. If you could play any instrument at all, what would it be?
Electric guitar. I was going to say rock drums, but guitar beats out because it's easier to write songs if you play guitar.

13. Which do you prefer… sports car or SUV?
Neither. One is pretentious and usually has a lack of interior space, and the other (while nice to drive) is environmentally selfish.

14. Do you believe in an afterlife?
Yes. And a pre-life. And life.

15. What is your favorite season?
Autumn, for the colours and the windy weather.

16. What is your least favorite household chore?
Vaccuuming. Always has been.

17. If you could have one super power, what would it be?
An affinity with animals, to understand them and be able to interact with wild animals safely.

18. If you have a tattoo, what is it?
I don't, but if I got one (unlikely) it would be a dragonfly.

19. Can you juggle?
No, but I've wanted to learn for some time now.

20. The one person from your past you wish you could go back and talk to?
My grandfather. He was white, but grew up from the time he was three in a black family. He loved and respected that family, and took his children to Trinidad every year to visit them, yet he forbid his children to play with the black children in their neighbourhood. They were the only white family on a street of black families (which at the time in Barbados ~ 1930s/1940s ~ meant you were poor) and the island is 95% black, but he stuck to this rule until they were adults.

All of this makes me realise that he must have been a very conflicted man with a lot of leftover issues from his childhood. I wish I had questioned him more deeply about these things and understood him better. We had a fairly good relationship and my aunt told me once that she wishes I'd asked him, too, because he might have opened up and told me, where he would never have discussed this kind of thing with her or his other children. Certainly my mother could never discuss anything probing or personal with him.

21. What’s your favorite day?
Of the week? Tuesday. It means Monday, which usually sucks, is over, and there are cheap movie deals.

22. Which do you prefer, sushi or hamburger?
Hamburger, though I like sushi.

Labels: