a little east of reality

Monday, December 25, 2006

god bless us, every one

Yeah so I'm posting this late but it's my Christmas post so I'm still using 25th December. Merry Christmas! My presents were all posted/delivered on time this year ~ a real improvement on the last few years ~ but my Christmas cards either went out late or not at all. Piss-poor organisation, I know, but hey the presents went out, so I'm not beating myself up over it.

Christmas Day was surprisingly relaxing, in spite of helping my sister make lunch. She did most of it ~ she knows the result she's after and I suspect she only gave me tasks she didn't think I could screw up. Lots of faith in me, my sister has, yep. She drove me a little nuts by making slightly sarcastic, mock cheerful comments whenever something wasn't quite happening the way she wanted and giving me answers (read: instructions) I didn't need to questions I hadn't asked her. But hey, she did put on a lovely lunch and was generally pleasant most of the day, so it was all good in the end.

Present at Christmas lunch were my Mum, Dad, one Aunt, my sister and me. My brother didn't show, which may have been wise on his part as he recently argued with my mother on the phone and made her cry. Now here is one topic that my sister and I agree on one hundred per cent ~ our mother is an angel fallen from heaven and anyone who makes her cry should be nailed to a fence and set on fire ~ and therefore my brother was definitely risking life and limb if he turned up pre-apology. But he didn't so he, and the fence, were saved.

As you can plainly see, a deeply spiritual reflection on the Saviour's birth was had by all. Or not. I actually spent a goodly portion of the day reading a novel and catching up on episodes of 'So You Think You Can Dance?' But I did go see The Nativity Story with my parents another day, and that definitely had the Spirit of Christmas (not the one you put in eggnog, the other one) lurking about for a while. It is fair to say, however, that the greatest moment of family togetherness experienced in the last four days was not brought about by Christmas per se, but by our collective inability to listen to Boney M's Christmas album without singing along.

for a moment the world was aglow all the bells rang out, there were tears of joy and laughter people shouted let ev'ryone know there is hope for all to find peace

Wouldn't that be nice.