a little east of reality

Monday, February 13, 2006

tempered steel

Losing it occasionally toughens you up, helps you to have a thicker skin. At some point you realise that other people's hurtful antics, or other of life's challenges, are not worth crying over and then the experience tempers you like steel and makes you stronger.

Last weekend I felt so let down by individuals that I let myself feel let down by life. Well, this weekend I have some bad news and some good news. The bad news is that during the week Phi, who I haven't seen much of lately, offered to make dinner on Saturday...and then went out and completely forgot about it. I was out just before dinner and came home to a dark, empty house (tres symbolic, no?). Easy enough to do, and I'm not angry about it, but it was disappointing; I'd been looking forward to it. Then on Sunday, the new boarder failed to show...again, and failed to contact me...again, so I spent the whole of Sunday waiting expectantly for him to arrive...again. Today I got an email to say that he is living somewhere else. Bastard. I knocked back a short term boarder on the basis of his absolute assurance that this was a definite arrangement. So much for that.

The good news, however, is that I am not crying or kicking innocent furniture. Yeah it's hurtful and frustrating, and nobody likes to be forgotten. And yeah I know it'll take some time to find another person to move in. But in the end, no-one is going to live or die because the weekend was a bit crappy - certainly not me!