a little east of reality

Monday, July 06, 2009

meme for grownups

Here’s a meme aimed at grown-ups via Sean from Alone and Unobserved. If you’re a grownup, and you’re reading this, consider yourself tagged. If not, seek your parents' permission first.

1. What bill do you hate paying the most?
Electricity bill, especially in Winter.

2. Do you miss being a child?
I miss the stuff I did as a child, like playing in a treehouse or riding my little orange two-wheeler with no hands or exploring the dump and other places I wasn't allowed to go. I miss having so much time to read. I miss that feeling of really believing that your dad was magical and knew everything. There's also a mountain of stuff I don't miss and wouldn't want to return to.

3. Chore you hate the most?
Vacuuming.

4. Where was the last place you had a romantic dinner?
At the guy's house, roughly oooooh, a million years ago? This question just makes me sad. :)

5. If you could go back and change one thing what would it be?
I would learn a lot earlier how to be responsible with money.

6. Name of your first grade teacher?
Miss Tucker. Nice lady.

7. What do you really want to be doing right now?
I'd like to be working on a t-shirt design, but can't find the cable that connects the camera to the computer to upload the photo I took to use as a tracing image.

8. What did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a teacher, but I honestly think that was a lack of imagination on my part. I didn't have a lot of life experience beyond school and so I conjured up a career that exists in school. Of course I have now actually been a teacher in a high school (in Japan) and loved every minute of it. I know now that (if I could be bothered getting the extra qualification) I could be a teacher and like it, but I really don't think as a kid that I had a clear picture of the job to judge it by.

9. How many colleges did you attend?
Two for my degree and one more right now.

10. Why did you choose the shirt that you have on right now?
Because it's warm, purple and looks good with these jeans.

11. What are your thoughts on gas prices?
They're high, but I work less than ten minutes from my house, so I tend to not care too much in terms of paying those prices. I will say that I don't think gas prices are a reason to go to war over oil, and that if people bought local goods and produce where possible and used public transport more often that we wouldn't need so much petrol. Also bio-fuel research and development is causing starvation and should not be vigorously pursued at this time.

12. First thought when the alarm went off this morning?
Quick, snooze button!

13. Last thought before going to sleep last night?
Remembering a nice conversation I had with someone at work earlier that day. I often replay conversations later.

14. What famous people would you like to have dinner with?
Living people? Noam Chomsky, Neil Gaiman (I was at the linked event, incidentally), John Cusack and the guys from Domoto Kyoudai (and if Shingo and Gackt come along I'm cool with that). But not all at the same dinner party.

15. Have you ever crashed your vehicle?
I slightly scratched my neighbour's car last year. Apart from that any crash I've had has been someone else crashing their car into mine.

16. If you didn’t have to work, would you volunteer?
Yeah. Last time I volunteered it was doing literacy tutoring. I'm not sure what I'd do if I didn't have to work at all.

17. Get up early or sleep in?
I like to sleep in on the weekend, but on work days it just pisses me off if I wake up and realise I've slept late. I like getting to work early because I need about an hour without the phone ringing or people wanting something, just to get organised and settle into my day.

18. What is your favorite cartoon character?
Right now...maybe Stewie from Family Guy. I no longer watch the show (I hit my crass humour threshhold somewhere around season 4) but he is always hilarious. When I was a kid I really liked Birdman and the Herculoids. And Batfink. And Cool McCool. And Wylie Coyote.

19. Favorite thing to do at night?
Movies, internet, writing.

20. When did you first start feeling old?
I don't feel old. I don't even feel as old as I am (I often find myself feeling like people my own age are old-fashioned). However, I first felt like someone 'older' when I was talking to a younger friend one day about relationships (and the drama and uncertainty of relationships) and realised just how much crap I don't put myself through anymore because I have more of a sense now of who I am and what I want and where I will and won't compromise. I think I really 'grew up' the day I realised that I'm not afraid to be alone. I don't like it, but I'd rather be alone than be in a bad relationship.

21. Favorite lunch meat?
Turkey

22. What do you get every time you go into Wal-Mart?
I guess in Australia the equivalent would be Kmart or Big W? I think this would go something like cheap shirts, greeting cards, and random home stuff like door hooks or a desk lamp. There's nothing I get every time.

23. Do you think marriage is an outdated ritual?
No. I think it's a commitment that can take a relationship to a whole new level. I do recognise that it doesn't suit everyone's take on romance and family, but I'm definitely into monogamy and think marriage is cool.

24. A favorite movie you wouldn’t want anyone to find out about?
I think I'd own up to pretty much any 'guilty pleasure' movie if pressed. Um...Xanadu? (No seriously.) I also really like 'Bring It On'. :)

25. What’s your favorite drink?
Nonalcoholic? Water, apple cider.
Alcoholic? Malibu (Barbados white rum, coconut flavour). I'm not much of a drinker, but I want to try tequila one day to see what all the fuss is about.

26. Who would you like to run into from high school?
Sandy, Tracey, Dagmar, Craig. Would be nice to see any of them and talk over old times.

27. What radio station is your car radio tuned to right now?
106.3 (80s till now) 104.7 (Top 40) and Triple J (indie/alternative rock mixed in with top 40 stuff that doesn't suck) and I switch between them all the time to find songs I like.

28. Sopranos or Desperate Housewives?
Gossip Girl. :)

29. Worst relationship mistake that you wish you could take back?
Being afraid to make the first move and losing a guy as a result. (Of course he was also afraid to make the first move. We talked about it later, but by then he was dating someone else.) It was a long time ago and it would have ended, but it would have been a lot of fun while it lasted.

30. Do you like the person who sits directly across from you at work?
Yeah. He's an older guy, and quirky, but we get along pretty well.

31. Have you ever had to use a fire extinguisher for its intended purposes?
No, but I did spill oil on one of the kitchen hotplates and had to pour salt on it to kill the fire. It was a bit scary actually.

32. Last book you finished reading?
'Strange Pilgrims', a book of short stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I read some and then put it down for a few months and only just got back to it. I'm currently reading 'Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain' by Oliver Sacks. Interesting. Hoping to squeeze in 'My Sister's Keeper' by Jodi Picoult before going to see the movie in a couple of weeks. I'm borrowing it from a friend, but she hasn't finished it yet.

33. Do you have a teddy bear?
In a box somewhere.

34. Strangest place you have ever brushed your teeth?
In my car? Camping? This is a stupid question.

35. Do you go to church?
Not for six months now.

36. How old are you?
I find it strange how reluctant I am to answer that question. In real life it doesn't bother me at all. Weird.

37. Have you ever been arrested?
Couple of times in the 80s by the fashion police. You know how it is, you're with a few friends, you get a little carried away and suddenly you're wearing an electric blue, button-down shirt with puffed sleeves and ruffles and way too much pink blush...um, yeah.

38. Have you ever attended a public protest against a major corporation or a government?
Yes. Most recently the Howard government's terrible industrial relations laws (later overturned by the new government).

39. Do you feel that your type of employment traps you or liberates you?
I work in the public service as a policy analyst. This allows me a certain amount of choice in moving between departments without losing my accumulated benefits, which is handy. The pay is decent. I like the work, but to say it liberates me is probably a bit rich. I don't feel trapped. I do sometimes feel like I get too comfortable and would have trouble going back to the private sector.

40. Is voting a duty, a privilege, a right, or an option?
A duty and a right.

41. Have you ever sat on a jury?
No.

42. Have you ever seen someone die?
Yes. I was with a friend at the hospital when her step-mother died from cancer. She just kind of slipped away.

43. Are you making any preparations for old age or for retirement?
Yes, but I'm not satisfied yet that I've done enough to avoid living in a cardboard box on the side of the road. We'll see how it goes.

44. Do you have children? Or, if not, do you wish to?
No, except the ones I borrow from time to time. I would very much like to raise kids, but I don't care if they're biologically mine or not.

45. Have you ever served in your country’s armed forces?
No. I'm not sure why (because I've always been pretty coordinated when it comes to sport and such) but I have this ominous feeling that I'd end up shooting myself in the foot, or blowing up the wrong building or something equally counter-productive and unsoldierlike.

46. How is your relationship with your parents different from what it was when you were a child?
When I was a kid I worshipped my dad and resented my mother (because she was the one trying to raise me properly and he spoiled me). As an adult I respect my mother and really enjoy her company. My dad is not a bad person, but he is flawed in ways that make it hard for me to be around him for long periods of time. Sometimes we get along really well, but it never lasts.

47. Have you ever had a substantial conversation with a homeless person?
Yes, but not very often.

48. If life is “a journey”, then where are you going?
I honestly don't know. I feel a strong need to establish some security for myself and I suppose that's the destination I'm seeking financially. In terms of me as a person I care less about where I'm going than about what happens along the way. I don't think I'm ever going to do anything really profound, but if I can have a positive impact on the lives of people I meet and interact with, I think I'm okay with that.

Labels: ,