a little east of reality

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

work it, baby!

Cue: Rocky theme

I am now the owner of this elliptical cross-trainer with touch screen computer, 10 training programs, inlying magnetic brake system, adjustable resistance and a bunch of other stuff I could have copied and pasted from the description.

The real workout was getting this 59kg item home (ALDI don't deliver) and put together, especially with the assistance of two guys who refuse to read instructions and kept adding pieces out of order that then had to be removed to allow something else to be fitted. Eventually we got it all done except for the very last bolt, which refused to be tightened more than a few turns. I sprayed some WD-40 into the internal thread (threaded hole) and then spent about two hours alternately tightening and loosening the bolt, over and over, each time tightening it a tiny bit more as whatever was blocking the bolt was slowly worn away. Finally one of those times it kept turning slowly as I tightened instead of stopping and I was able to get the bolt completely inserted. I was exhausted, and I hadn't even tried the trainer out yet!